An interior designer is a professional who projects both residential, corporate and commercial interior spaces. The interior designer understands aesthetic composition, ergonomics, proportion, materials, and lighting. It takes a lot of knowledge, talent and creativity to be an interior designer. Fortunately in the homify directory, we have talented interior designers who can help you remodel your home.
In today’s article, we are going to learn a little about the history of this profession in Bangalore, India and what an interior designer does, as well as the differences that exist between decorators and architects. You will also know how an interior designer can help you create more welcoming spaces in your home
What is an interior designer?
Interior design is a profession, as is architecture, engineering, medicine, etc. that is studied and learned in Universities. An interior designer must have a background in psychology, architecture, and design. An interior designer combines different areas to create cozy and stylish environments according to the needs of the tenants. An interior designer is specialized in creating suitable environments, both in residential and commercial spaces.
Areas of knowledge of an interior designer:
In an Interior Design course, applicants or interested parties cover the following subjects:
– Interior design
– Product Technology
– Models and Models
– Fashion Techniques
– Intellectual property
– Quality of life
– Environmental impact
– Product design
– Design theory
Other areas of knowledge that the interior designer must master
At the undergraduate level, the interior design profession encompasses:
– History of art
– Communication and Design
– Design Analysis
– Models Workshop
– Mathematics and Plane Geometry
– Project Methodology
– Design Workshop
– Design Theory
– Architectural Representation
– Descriptive geometry
– Drawing and Perspective
How do you do an interior design project by a professional interior designer?
All this list of subjects above, is used to make the interior design project both at home, as in a commercial project.
The interior project, in case you want to hire a professional interior designer or become one of them, generally has the following stages:
1. Briefing: These are the instructions and this is exactly what happens in the first stage. This is the moment in which the client tells the professional about their wishes and ideas for the space, in addition to establishing a budget to invest in the project.
2. Survey of measurements or measurement: It consists of measuring the entire environment (walls, doors, windows, water and electrical power connections as well as existing furniture). In addition to measuring, it is important to take many photographs and specify what exists in the space, such as the type of floor.
More about the process of executing an interior design project:
3. Preliminary study: It is the design of the first ideas that will be implemented in the project, generally done on the ground floor.
4. Preliminary project: It is the evolution of the preliminary study, with designs generally made in a software program. Normally at this stage there will be a 3D presentation of the project, which will give an idea of what the environment will look like.
5. Executive project: after the client approved the preliminary project and requested the corresponding modifications, the executive project begins; It contains all the necessary information and measures so that professionals (bricklayers, painters, carpenters, etc.) can execute what was proposed in the preliminary project.
6. Accompaniment: it is an option of the client to contract (or not) the accompaniment during the project execution. This stage depends a lot on what was agreed between the designer and the client, but technical visits are generally made to the construction site and with the distributors to confirm that everything is being done according to specifications.
Difference between interior decorator and interior designer
In the past there were hardly any room decorators and architects, then interior designers arose, who cannot perform the same functions as an architect, but obviously they are not restricted only to decoration.
– Interior decoration is part of what an interior designer does, but the work of these professionals goes far beyond this. The interior decorator is a professional who chooses furniture, wall colors, pictures, glasses, rugs, cushions, etc., in order to make the environment balanced and beautiful. His work is limited to the completion of a work.
– The interior designer, in addition to the work of a decorator, has the function of projecting the space consistently, following technical standards of acoustics, ergonomics, thermal comfort and lighting. His work is restricted to interior environments already built and minor modifications that do not intervene in the construction structure, such as demolition of walls and opening of windows.
Difference between decorator, interior designer and an interior architect:
– The interior architect is the professional who can exercise all the above functions, but can also project the demolition and construction of walls, make the hydraulic, electrical and structural project of both the interior and exterior spaces.
It is very important to remember that each of the professionals has a specific deepening level of knowledge, but that these professions are complementary and can work in an integrated way on the same project.
Has the information in this article helped you?
Remember, if you want to hire a professional interior architect, interior decorator or interior designer, then AVVNL is the right place .